Glenkens Oil-buying Co-Operative Co-ordinator
Would you like to work with the New Galloway Community Enterprises (NGCE) team as they expand their successful oil-buying co-operative across the Glenkens?
Our oil-buying co-operative currently has 70 members from New Galloway & Kells, with around 13 orders being placed a month. Through negotiating the bulk purchase of oil, the co-operative has secured Members an average saving of 3.4p per litre of oil so far in 2020: that’s £17 on a 500 litre order. The co-operative also reduces the carbon footprint of our region by minimising the number of tanker deliveries required.
NGCE has now received funding from Dumfries & Galloway Council’s Region-Wide Communities Fund to expand this service into the other communities of the Glenkens. (The ‘Glenkens’ generally refers to the community council areas of Balmaclellan, Carsphairn, New Galloway & Kells and St John’s Town of Dalry in the northern part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright in Dumfries & Galloway.)
This is a fixed-term 2-year part-time contract that will require more work at the start to expand the service, and then the ongoing management of it.
Start-up: Fixed fee £500 (2 instalments)
• Work with the NGCE Community Engagement Worker (Sam Rushton) to understand the current scheme within New Galloway and Kells.
• Engage with the oil suppliers to agree how the proposed expansion can be implemented.
• Produce a communications plan to publicise the roll-out of the wider scheme, including the use of social media and case studies.
• Secure an initial recruitment of Members from across the Glenkens communities to an agreed target.
On-going administration: Fixed fee £948 per year (paid monthly on invoice)
• Administer the project across the Glenkens (including New Galloway): Typically there will be nine orders placed per year, more frequently in winter. Estimated 7 hours per order.
• Continue to publicise the scheme and build membership to agreed targets.
• Send reminder and confirmation emails to members.
• Negotiation with the suppliers to secure the best price in advance of each delivery.
Detailed record-keeping of relevant data to support grant reports and future grant applications.
Adhere to the NGCE data protection protocols with regards to members’ personal information and contracts.
• Good attention to detail and the ability to deliver to deadlines.
• Able to accept responsibility for a defined task.
• Experience and competence in the use of Excel databases and email.
• Experience and competence in the use of social media for promotional opportunities.
• Able to work flexibly and commit extra hours at the start of the position.
• Engaging and outgoing personality, confident in selling the opportunity to the communities.
This is a very rewarding job that would suit someone looking to make a real difference to their communities and the environment while working from home with flexible times of work. The post-holder will be expected to have their own computer.
The position is free-lance and a fixed term contract – no pension, PAYE or holiday benefits will be paid.
Further information about the post can be obtained by emailing SamCEW@newgallowaycommunity.shop
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit their CV and a covering letter setting out how they meet the requirements of the post and the names of two referees, at least one of whom should be a business/professional reference.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
or sent to NGCE Ltd, New Galloway Community Shop, High St, New Galloway, DG7 3RN and marked “Oil co-op application”
The closing date for applications is 6pm on Monday 26th October 2020.